In this week’s episode, I chat with my friend Kate O’Sullivan about being out online and being an effective ally.
We talked about:
- Being an effective and vocal ally online and how it feels when you lose followers because of it
- Internalised homophobia and realising you’re gay as an adult
- The problems with the words “tolerance” and “acceptance”
- Creating safe spaces online
- A breakdown of the acronym LGBTQA+ and the importance that labels can have for people
- Imriel ‘Inclusivity Queen’ Morgan and why it’s not about having privilege, but what you do with it
- Differentiating what is cultural appropriation from cultural appreciation
- Centering marginalised people rather than centering yourself
- The shaming of people’s sexuality and the fetishisation of a coming out story
And don’t forget that my ecourse Your First Byline is open for registration and starts today!
You can find me on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest @lucylucraft or on my blog: lucylucraft.com.
Please think about leaving the show a rating & review. For each one I receive, I give £2 to my chosen charity, which changes monthly.
Last month’s charity= Blossom’s Legacy
This month’s charity= Endometriosis UK
Thanks to our sponsors for this season; The Blogger Course (get 20% off with the code WhatSheSaid) and SudioSweden (get 15% off with the code WhatSheSaid). Please support them the way they’re supporting me 🙂